Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Morning

Still upset about that lost hour of sleep. On to it.

The 50 best websites of 2009. Somehow, I did not make the list.

Jonathan Cohn on how the health care vote will proceed. From the post: "As I've said before, the point of holding one vote rather than two is to spare House members an explicit vote on the Senate bill. And, as I've said before, that seems utterly pointless to me. Come November, the distinction between voting for a bill directly and voting for a bill indirectly, via "deeming," isn't going to make much difference." I could not disagree more. One of the takeaways from the MA Senate race was that people were not just displeased with the content of the bill, they were especially displeased with the process. The "backroom deals", the "Cornhusker kickback", the "Gator Aid", the proposal to use reconciliation, etc. Utilizing the "Slaughter solution", which basically allows the House to deem the Senate bill passed rather than voting on it directly, allows Republicans to attack the process. The Democratic leadership seems content to go back home and contest elections on the merits of the bill. I'm not sure they want to defend the merits and the accusations that they used a corrupt process to get it done. Seems like a blunder to me if they do.

NYT article on the rise of for-profit trade schools.

Nissan GTR smokes the Bentley Supersports. GTR costs under $80K, the Bentley upwards of $250K. I report, you decide.

Funny police composite sketches
.

No comments: